Read the dictionary definition of thing. All definitions for this word.
1. a separate and self-contained entity
2. an action
1. how could you do such a thing?
3. an artifact
1. how does this thing work?
4. an entity that is not named specifically
1. I couldn't tell what the thing was
5. any attribute or quality considered as having its own existence
1. the thing I like about her is ...
6. a vaguely specified concern
1. several matters to attend to
2. it is none of your affair
3. things are going well
7. a special abstraction
1. a thing of the spirit
2. things of the heart
8. a special objective
1. the thing is to stay in bounds
9. a statement regarded as an object
1. to say the same thing in other terms
2. how can you say such a thing?
10. an event
1. a funny thing happened on the way to the...
11. a persistent illogical feeling of desire or aversion
1. he has a thing about seafood
2. she has a thing about him
12. a special situation
1. this thing has got to end
2. it is a remarkable thing
See also: Merriam-Webster definition of thing