Read the dictionary definition of sort. All definitions for this word.
1. an approximate definition or example
1. she wore a sort of magenta dress
2. she served a creamy sort of dessert thing
2. a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality
1. sculpture is a form of art
2. what kinds of desserts are there?
3. a person of a particular character or nature
1. what sort of person is he?
2. he's a good sort
4. an operation that segregates items into groups according to a specified criterion
1. the bottleneck in mail delivery is the process of sorting
5. arrange or order by classes or categories
1. How would you classify these pottery shards--are they prehistoric?
6. examine in order to test suitability
1. screen these samples
2. screen the job applicants