Read the dictionary definition of soil. All definitions for this word.
1. the geographical area under the jurisdiction of a sovereign state
1. American troops were stationed on Japanese soil
2. material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use)
1. the land had never been plowed
2. good agricultural soil
3. the state of being covered with unclean things
4. the part of the earth's surface consisting of humus and disintegrated rock
5. make soiled, filthy, or dirty
1. don't soil your clothes when you play outside!
See also: Merriam-Webster definition of soil