Read the dictionary definition of sit. All definitions for this word.
1. serve in a specific professional capacity
1. the priest sat for confession
2. she sat on the jury
2. be seated
3. show to a seat; assign a seat for
1. The host seated me next to Mrs. Smith
4. sit and travel on the back of animal, usually while controlling its motions
1. She never sat a horse!
2. Did you ever ride a camel?
3. The girl liked to drive the young mare
5. take a seat
6. be in session
1. When does the court of law sit?
7. assume a posture as for artistic purposes
1. We don't know the woman who posed for Leonardo so often
8. work or act as a baby-sitter
1. I cannot baby-sit tonight; I have too much homework to do
9. be located or situated somewhere
1. The White House sits on Pennsylvania Avenue
10. be around, often idly or without specific purpose
1. The object sat in the corner
2. We sat around chatting for another hour
See also: Merriam-Webster definition of sit