Read the dictionary definition of read. All definitions for this word.
1. something that is read
1. the article was a very good read
2. make sense of a language
1. She understands French
2. Can you read Greek?
3. be a student of a certain subject
1. She is reading for the bar exam
4. to hear and understand
1. I read you loud and clear!
5. interpret something in a certain way; convey a particular meaning or impression
1. I read this address as a satire
2. How should I take this message?
6. interpret something that is written or printed
1. read the advertisement
2. Have you read Salman Rushdie?
7. look at, interpret, and say out loud something that is written or printed
1. The King will read the proclamation at noon
8. interpret the significance of, as of palms, tea leaves, intestines, the sky; also of human behavior
1. She read the sky and predicted rain
2. I can't read his strange behavior
3. The fortune teller read his fate in the crystal ball
9. obtain data from magnetic tapes or other digital sources
1. This dictionary can be read by the computer
10. indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
1. The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero
2. The gauge read `empty'
11. audition for a stage role by reading parts of a role
1. He is auditioning for `Julius Caesar' at Stratford this year
12. have or contain a certain wording or form
1. The passage reads as follows
2. What does the law say?
See also: Merriam-Webster definition of read