Read the dictionary definition of lag. All definitions for this word.
1. the act of slowing down or falling behind
2. one of several thin slats of wood forming the sides of a barrel or bucket
3. the time between one event, process, or period and another
1. meanwhile the socialists are running the government
4. cover with lagging to prevent heat loss
1. lag pipes
5. throw or pitch at a mark, as with coins
6. hang (back) or fall (behind) in movement, progress, development, etc.
7. lock up or confine, in or as in a jail
1. The suspects were imprisoned without trial
2. the murderer was incarcerated for the rest of his life
See also: Merriam-Webster definition of lag