Read the dictionary definition of eat. All definitions for this word.
1. cause to deteriorate due to the action of water, air, or an acid
1. The acid corroded the metal
2. The steady dripping of water rusted the metal stopper in the sink
2. use up (resources or materials)
1. this car consumes a lot of gas
2. We exhausted our savings
3. They run through 20 bottles of wine a week
3. eat a meal; take a meal
1. We did not eat until 10 P.M. because there were so many phone calls
2. I didn't eat yet, so I gladly accept your invitation
4. take in solid food
1. She was eating a banana
2. What did you eat for dinner last night?
5. take in food; used of animals only
1. This dog doesn't eat certain kinds of meat
2. What do whales eat?
6. worry or cause anxiety in a persistent way
1. What's eating you?