Read the dictionary definition of HEM. All definitions for this word.
1. the edge of a piece of cloth; especially the finished edge that has been doubled under and stitched down
1. the hem of her dress was stained
2. let down the hem
3. he stitched weights into the curtain's hem
4. it seeped along the hem of his jacket
2. the utterance of a sound similar to clearing the throat; intended to get attention, express hesitancy, fill a pause, hide embarrassment, warn a friend, etc.
3. utter `hem' or `ahem'
4. fold over and sew together to provide with a hem
1. hem my skirt