Read the dictionary definition of survive. All definitions for this word.
1. support oneself
1. he could barely exist on such a low wage
2. Can you live on $2000 a month in New York City?
3. Many people in the world have to subsist on $1 a day
2. continue to live and avoid dying
1. We went without water and food for 3 days
2. These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America
3. The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents
4. how long can a person last without food and water?
5. One crash victim died, the other lived
3. live longer than
1. She outlived her husband by many years
4. continue in existence after (an adversity, etc.)
1. He survived the cancer against all odds
See also: Merriam-Webster definition of survive