Read the dictionary definition of dissent. All definitions for this word.
1. the act of protesting; a public (often organized) manifestation of dissent
2. a difference of opinion
3. (law) the difference of one judge's opinion from that of the majority
1. he expressed his dissent in a contrary opinion
4. withhold assent
1. Several Republicans dissented
5. be of different opinions
1. I beg to differ!
2. She disagrees with her husband on many questions
6. express opposition through action or words
1. dissent to the laws of the country
See also: Merriam-Webster definition of dissent