Read the dictionary definition of PAY. All definitions for this word.
1. something that remunerates
1. wages were paid by check
2. he wasted his pay on drink
3. they saved a quarter of all their earnings
1. give thought to
2. give priority to
3. pay attention to
3. bear (a cost or penalty), in recompense for some action
1. You'll pay for this!
2. She had to pay the penalty for speaking out rashly
3. You'll pay for this opinion later
4. convey, as of a compliment, regards, attention, etc.; bestow
1. Don't pay him any mind
2. give the orders
3. Give him my best regards
4. pay attention
5. give money, usually in exchange for goods or services
1. I paid four dollars for this sandwich
2. Pay the waitress, please
6. cancel or discharge a debt
1. pay up, please!
7. discharge or settle
1. pay a debt
2. pay an obligation
8. do or give something to somebody in return
1. Does she pay you for the work you are doing?
9. bring in
1. interest-bearing accounts
2. How much does this savings certificate pay annually?
10. make a compensation for
1. a favor that cannot be paid back
1. pay a visit
2. pay a call
12. be worth it
1. It pays to go through the trouble