Read the dictionary definition of ITEM. All definitions for this word.
1. a whole individual unit; especially when included in a list or collection
1. they reduced the price on many items
2. an isolated fact that is considered separately from the whole
1. several of the details are similar
2. a point of information
3. a distinct part that can be specified separately in a group of things that could be enumerated on a list
1. he noticed an item in the New York Times
2. she had several items on her shopping list
3. the main point on the agenda was taken up first
4. an individual instance of a type of symbol
1. the word `error' contains three tokens of `r'
5. a small part that can be considered separately from the whole
1. it was perfect in all details
6. (used when listing or enumerating items) also
1. a length of chain, item a hook